Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Legalize Arizona






In one of my classes in the MSW program we were asked to look into an issue and groups that focused on the issue and do a project to promote social change. One of our group members knew about a group called No More Deaths the dealt with the issue of the deaths on the border. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about this group but figured it was an issue I didn't know much about and since I live here in AZ, I probably should. The more I got involved in the group and the more research I did on the topic, the more excited and motivated I became to be involved in trying to improve this issue. If anyone else is interested in learning more about the issue or the group No More Deaths check out their website at http://www.nomoredeaths.org/.

During my school project a bill was proposed by the state of Arizona to stop people from coming here illegally. SB1070 goes against efforts for a reform to help legalize those who have a dream of becoming an American. We have a very serious problem here in Arizona with people living here undocumented and I believe this bill is a misguided attempt to try to improve the situation. I think the bill has good intentions but is only focusing on our problems as Americans and forgets about those less fortunate then us that were not bon here in the US.

Knowing and feeling the way I do about this situation, I can not just sit back and do nothing. I believe inside that advocating for these people, who do not have a voice here in this country, is what I am suppose to be doing. I am so lucky to have a supportive husband who has spent 2 years of his life living on the Mexican border and has a true understanding of what is taking place there. I believe everything happens for a reason and for some reason it seems that Clint and I were meant to get involved.

These are photos from the rally against SB1070.

No comments:

Post a Comment